The folks over at DotEmu have released a new video for Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap which showcases the ability to switch from the stunning HD graphics to the original 8-bit graphics with the touch of a button.
Not only will the graphics change, but you’ll also have the ability to switch the HD audio or 8-bit audio at will. This means you can enjoy the new visuals while rocking to the original soundtrack and vice-versa.
Along with the video, DotEmu has released a blog update detailing more new features making their way to the game which you can find below.
- You will able to change between 1989 retro graphics and 2017 modern animated graphics anytime, anywhere, at the press of a single button!
- You will able to change between 1989 retro music/sfx and 2017 modern music/sfx anytime, anywhere, at the press of a single button!
- You can mix and match: retro graphics + modern audio, modern graphics + retro audio. You can also can mix and match modern music + retro sound effect or vice-versa.
- The retro modes are running in widescreen, 60 FPS (constrast to the original Master System version running in 4:3 ratio with a refresh rate of 25 or 30 FPS depending on your console region). So the scrolling and physics are now smoother.
- We worked very hard and implemented some crazy underlying technology to nail the game details so that it would feels just like the original, down to random drops. For those technically inclined, we hope to describe some of the technology we created in a future blog post.
- Tech trivia: for a same given object, the pixel resolution has been multiplied by 6 on each axis. In the original version the “blocks” were 16×16 = 256 pixels, in the new versions they are 96×96 = 9216 pixels each. So the amount of pixels for a same object has been multiplied by 36! The game is rather heavy on texture data
- The game will accept your original passwords from the Sega Master System and Game Gear versions of the game! So you can effectively load a “save” from decades ago.
- The game will be able to emit new passwords that will work on the original 1989 and 1991 versions. You can also use those passwords to transfer your game accross any platform the game is targetting.
Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap is set to release in Spring 2017 for PC, Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.